Tuesday, September 11, 2012

~Run for Water 10K Race Report~

Leigh mentioned this race to me a few months ago since every finisher gets a medal. Might not seem like a big deal but around here a lot of races do not give our bling unless you are one of the top 3 finishers. Even for half marathons this is often the case. Not cool for someone who likes to receive bling at the end of a race!!

This race started downtown and I figured it was the usual out and back type route that is common for races that start at this location. Well I was pleasantly surprised to find out the day before the race that it wasn't an out and back but yet a route that I had never run before (most of it). I love new routes!!

We woke up early on Saturday and Leigh found us quickly since we stick out with the Chariot!

Audrey hydrating before the race

Leigh and I

Family photo take 1

Family photo take 2

The 10K started first and both Leigh and hubby took off leaving me in their dust ;) It was pretty congested at the very beginning but by 1K it had spread out.

At 1K I pulled out my iPod even though I haven't run with music in awhile.

At 2K I was surprised at how easy the pace felt and how fast it was going by.

At 3K I started to get a stitch and had to slow it down.

By 5K I was discouraged that I was only half way there!

Around 6K? we caught up to the 5K runners and walkers who started 15 minutes after us. I felt like the only runner dodging all the walkers. For a moment I thought that maybe I went the wrong way since I couldn't see any runners ahead of me but I was still seeing kilometer markers along the route that were obviously for the 10K.

I actually didn't mind all the walkers because it gave me something else to think about other than how tired I was! At 8K the 5Kers turned over one bridge and the 10Kers continued until the next bridge. That was tough! Then we met up again on the other side of the river- just to be sent on separate pathways again! This happened about 3 times!

Finally we rounded a corner, went over another small bridge and you could see the finish line! I picked up the pace a bit but I was spent! Hubby, Audrey and Leigh were just at the side of the finish line to cheer me on! My final time was 1:06:xx. Not my greatest, but not my worst either!


Leigh finishing


Me finishing!


Audrey, me and my medal!!


I grabbed my medal, we got some food and water and hung around for a bit.

I am definitely looking forward to doing this race again next year- great route, great volunteers, great medal and great post-race food and activities!

Bib and medal

New addition to my medal collection!

7 comments:

  1. Love that the whole fam came out to run! Great job out there and gotta love a race that gives medals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your metals - congrats!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get that medal rack? I love it. Been looking for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's from http://www.medalhangers.com. I got it for my birthday last year. They are pretty nice and a great way to display your medals rather than sticking them in the closet like I did before I got this!

      Delete
  4. Great race recap! So glad that I was able to find you guys before the race too. Haha, I had no idea that J spotted me finishing. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME JOB! So proud of you! That's a great time. I'm glad you stuck with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with the race!

    I want a medal hanger like that. I currently have mine on the corner of my vanity mirror but would like something that has them more on display.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!